Monday, March 1, 2010

Low Fat Tomato "Chili"

This recipe is called a "Chili", hence the chili powder. Since Coach is "Plain Jim" when it comes to spices, I made this into more of a chunkier stew, or "stoup".

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs lean cut boneless beef (I used leftover skirt steak already grilled)
2 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
14 oz can kidney beans (DO NOT DRAIN!)
1 large onion, chopped (I sub. 1t. onion powder since my husband despises onions...PS- he never suspects the onion powder!!)
1 tbsp chili powder (I omit)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp oregano (I used 1t. since he loves oregano!)
1 tsp sugar

Directions:
In frypan with non stick cooking oil, brown beef. (If your meat is already cooked, you can skip this step. I pulled my steak right out of the fridge, and sliced thinly...this makes it so easy when it's firm.
Then I diced into bite sized pieces.

In large bowl combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, add meat and simmer for about 45mins.
Allow to cool.
Pour into freezer container or bags, cover and freeze.
Makes 6C.

To serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator. If not in a casserole sized baking dish already, transfer it to one. Cover. Bake in 325 ° oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beef is cooked through and tender. Stir and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment