Thursday, April 23, 2009
Creamy Baked Penne (Light!)
Tonight I made this meal and it was absolutely delicious! Creamy, cheesy, just perfect! As I was eating it I thought, "this would be great even without the meat!" So, here's my version:
Creamy Baked Penne (Light)
(A twist on the ol' beloved baked ziti...)
1 lb. penne (or you could use ziti or elbows if you prefer) I used whole grain!
2 C. pasta sauce
1/2 C. chicken stock (I make my own)
1t. crushed red pepper flakes
2t. minced garlic
2t. onion powder or 1C. chopped onion (I use onion powder)
1/2C. all purpose flour
2C. reduced fat milk
1 1/2C. chicken stock
1C. shredded lowfat cheddar
1/2C. shredded lowfat mozzarella
2T. grated parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook penne according to directions until tender but firm (al dente). Drain
3. To make sauce: combine all ingredients for sauce in saucepan and heat over med. heat. Cover and cook 10mins or until thickened. Set aside.
4. To make cheese sauce: In a nonstick saucepan whisk together flour, milk, and stock until flour dissolves. Place over med. heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, stirring until thickened. Stir in cheddar. Remove from heat. Stir cheese sauce into tomato sauce.
5. Toss pasta with sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Bake about 10mins until gold and bubbly.
This post is linked to LifeAsMom's Ultimate Recipe Swap. Check out the other Meatless Recipes.