Friday, July 31, 2009

Our County Fair

The fair is in town!! The first week of August marks quite an event here in our tiny town...we host the annual County 4-H Fair. People travel "far-and-wide", plan their vacations around, and 4-H'ers work all year for this! And this particular week, each year, I'm a working gal!! I work the fair's Information booths along with in-town teachers.
Our County Fair. Where else can you find...

4-H members, booths, exhibits, and 4-H sponsored animals and showings...I was a member, my children will be members (my oldest is eligible this September and can't wait!!)...


Sand sculptures...


Racing pigs...Oh, did I mention they swim, too??!!...



Food, snacks, yummy "treats" abound....
(My single girlfriend and I...we work our booths together, of course, and we treat ourselves to one different "treat" a day. My mouth is watering already!!)...


Cows...

And more cows...and pigs...and goats...and chickens...and rabbits...and llamas...and alpacas...well, basically, any animal that can be raised is entered in our fair...


Did I mention the elephant??...


Rides, rides, and more rides... (we try to stay off the rides, though difficult!!)...



Tractors, antique tractors, tractor races, and tractor pulls...

Not to mention a "Diaper Derby", a Demolition Derby, Monster Truck rides, Queen of the Fair pageant, Beekeeper shows, baking contests, pie eating contests, horse shows...the list goes on, and on, and on!!!

Visiting our County Fair each year is great. Seeing old elementary and high school friends, their families and children, watching my children's faces light up with excitement, and taking part in good, old-fashioned fun is definitely a Finer Thing!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh the pig race! That brought back memories of my dad, my sister and I getting the "race star" ready! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures. We live in the urban jungle and it is so wonderful to see country life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a 4-Her. Love the county fair! :)

    Those apples look divine!

    ReplyDelete