Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives Inspired "Italian Stew"

A few weeks ago my fridge went. I mean, just up and stopped working. My 9 year old, full-of-food fridge and freezer. I monitored the temperature with my thermometer my mother bought for all of us sisters, since the same thing happened to her "still under warranty" fridge. It didn't pay for us to invest almost $600 in repairs to our almost decade-old model, so I got a great deal on a new one. (Paid for in cash!) But by the time it would be delivered, it would be day three of no power to my fridge. So I had to act fast and save what I could. Who wouldn't get creative and use up all that food?!
I made a run to my sisters and stocked what I could fit in her extra fridge in her garage, and stored what I could in my deep freezer. I had to use-or-lose the rest.
So looking at my options, I vaguely remembered a dish I saw prepared on Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives. Not sure if it was close, but this is what I came up with. And boy, was it delicious:

Chicken Pisano
Sausage, Potatoes, Chicken, and Brown Gravy
(like an Italian stew)

3 Sweet Italian Sausage Links cut in thick slices
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in bite-sized pieces
red and green pepper strips
4 T. Butter
Flour
Oregano
Pepper
Can of whole potatoes or cut-up chunks of raw potatoes
AuJus or Beef Stock

Melt some butter in a pan. Pop in some thick cut slices of sausage (sweet italian). Add in cut up pieces of chicken breast and let grill up. Add in some oregano and pepper. There will be some oil in the pan from the butter and the sausage, so add some flour to make a roux. Add in some AuJus or Beef stock (what I used) to make a gravy. Add in some chunks of potatoes, or cut can of whole white potatoes in quarters and add in. Turn down heat and let simmer and cook. Brown gravy will become thick. Cook until potatoes are tender and meat is cooked through.

Getting creative in a pinch Works for Me!!

As an added note: I have since found the actual recipe and episode. The dish is called Chicken Pisano. My memory didn't fail me much...my rendition was close!!

No comments:

Post a Comment